Friday, May 8, 2015

Midnight Talk: May

Personally meeting up with guys I've known virtually is one thing. I never really saw myself venturing into this world. Not that I'm into the hook-up scene--no, it's not that. Exploring this kind of dating scheme is quite new to me. Actually, the concept of dating itself is new for me. After all the long-term relationships I've had in the past, I never thought I could be classified as not just single, but dating.
For my previous relationships, there were always the courting stage. The traditional Filipino style of dating but with a twist. Instead of singing outside my house accompanied by a guitar, there were YouTube links of romantic songs for me. Instead of chopping woods to be used in the fireplace, there was the taga-buhat ng everything--bag, shopping spree, grocery, food, etc.
But this era, you can actually date someone you've just virtually met. With the likes of WeChat, Tinder, Skout, Grindr--online dating applications--one can easily browse for potential partner. With a few click, you can start a conversation online. After a few lines, you decide to meet up. You either eat, drink, watch a movie, stroll--just about anything. Then you make out.
You see each other for quite some time--3 weeks, 1 month, 2 months--eventually one of you will shy away. Probably one of you met someone more exciting to be with, more fun to talk to, etc. When one starts to shy away, there are a lot of potential reasons why.
I got bored.
This is going nowhere.
Walang sparks.
Feeling ko may iba syang kinikita.
Busy.
And many more.

This habit is now developing into a new culture by the Filipinos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment